Pokemon AlteRed's release version 1.0! This is a GBA Rom intended to work with the Virtual Boy Advance Emulator.
Be sure to save regularly! It helps as well to have the newest version of VBA emulator installed!
Current Version: 1.10.3
Download it here: (NOTE: You must patch over a FireRed U Squirrels 1.0 ROM for it to work. 1.1 will cause the title screen to loop; make SURE to use 1.0)
If you need help with patching, hop on over to the AlteRed discord, we are happy to help out! https://discord.gg/AFqKF9P
- 1 FYI: RARE CANDY CHEATS ARE ENCOURAGED IF YOU FEEL UNDERLEVELED.
- 2 Info
- 3 Version History
- 3.1 Ver 1.1: Bugfix update 1
- 3.2 Ver 1.2: Bugfix update 2
- 3.3 Ver 1.3: Victory Road Update
- 3.4 Ver 1.4: Map Tile Fixes + More Update
- 3.5 Ver 1.5: BugFixes again
- 3.6 Ver 1.6: Reusable TMs and Move Tutor Update
- 3.7 Ver 1.7: Birbs
- 3.8 Ver 1.8: Finishing Up
- 3.9 Ver 1.9: Starter of the End
- 3.10 Ver 1.10: I just can't stop coming back lmao
- 4 Variations
- 5 Current Known Bugs
FYI: RARE CANDY CHEATS ARE ENCOURAGED IF YOU FEEL UNDERLEVELED.
Any cheats that work on vanilla FireRed work for this version as well. Do what makes you happy!
- There are 411 all-original Alter Form Pokemon in this hack; do you dare to catch them all? Click here to see the full list.
- The level curve and difficulty has been adjusted to be both more forgiving to the player, but also provide harder fights.
- The physical/special split has been implemented! Moves do not display whether they are Physical or Special in their description as of now, but they generally conform to the normal games.
- There is a move deleter, move reminder, and name rater on the second floor of every Pokemon Center! The reminder takes Mushrooms as payment... which can be gotten from the Pokemon in the Mushroom Bog, a newly added location.
- Indulge in moves from all eight generations, plus even some brand-new moves sprinkled in! Every move in the game can be found in List of Moves.
Ver 1.1: Bugfix update 1
- Removed the chance to encounter Mystree in the Tanoby Ruins exterior, which could cause crashes.
- Changed Pokemaniac Herman's team to remove his Ralmighty, which was in his team by mistake. The Pokemon has been replaced by a Sandanice.
- Resolved a minor graphical glitch on Route 7.
- Slightly tweaked Lady Selphy's team.
Ver 1.2: Bugfix update 2
- Fixed a major oversight in the Decrepit Clinic where the warp tiles were placed one tile too low, thus trapping players in Byoxys's chamber; if you are playing on a previous version of the game, it is advised that you stay away from the Clinic.
Ver 1.3: Victory Road Update
- Victory Road has been revamped with a new look. Various glitches regarding warps not working in Victory Road and other areas have been fixed.
Ver 1.4: Map Tile Fixes + More Update
- Region's Edge has had its Surf tiles fixed, so that you will now be able to surf on the water.
- Avalyte and Avaltar, (once Sandanice and Sandasnow) have new appearances, names, and a slightly adjusted moveset.
- Oognaut and Wobboogie have new sprites.
- Fixed a possible softlock that could occur in Pokemon Tower by moving the ghost encounter to a lower floor.
- Updated the held items of major boss teams to include less usage of the Brightpowder item.
- Agatha's Max Revive has been replaced with a Max Potion, as the AI know fuck all about how to use the former.
- The area outside of Trainer Tower has been adjusted.
- Fixed the odd door physics in the basement of Decrepit Clinic.
- The somewhat glitchy weather effect on Route 4 has been removed.
- The cloudy weather in Cerulean City has been removed, due to issues with it interacting with the house tiles.
- Fixed Route 6 giving you 0x Luxury Balls as a held item.
- Fixed buggy warps in Region's Edge.
Ver 1.5: BugFixes again
- Bug Bite and Poison Jab now have the correct animations.
- Cut was buffed to 65 Power, 100% Accuracy. Also has a high crit rate.
- Fixed some tilemap issues in Region's Edge.
- Removed an errored Team Rocket Grunt from Silph Co.
- Finally updated the Regi's party icons.
- Fixed the Region's Edge PokeCenter.
- Fixed a wrong warp that was accidentally created in Mushroom Bog.
Ver 1.6: Reusable TMs and Move Tutor Update
- Added reusable TMs.
- Adjusted the Move Tutor learnsets so they make sense.
- Revised Brave Bird's animation.
- Provided a working method to obtain Mandirit, by using a Water Stone on Mandiwhirl.
Ver 1.7: Birbs
- Added in the Fantasy Bay as an area to capture the once-unobtainable Legendary Birds.
- Tweaked all of the in-game trades to make them more worthwhile;
- The Corest for Sparsilisk trade on Route 2 has a Lucky Egg as its held item.
- The Fridgeotto for Torchill trade in Cerulean City has a Bright Powder as its held item.
- The Meowxie for Thundursa trade in the Underground Path has a King's Rock as its held item.
- The Rustiage for Mawvenus trade in Vermilion City has a Shell Bell as its held item.
- The Bolderfree for Sponyx trade in the Underground Path has a Choice Band as its held item.
- The Frilazhu for Mechans trade on Route 18 has a Scope Lens as its held item.
- All trade Pokemon now have perfect IVs.
- Fixed the janky looking tiles on Route 3.
- Fixed Boxiran F having Poison Point when it shouldn't have
- Fixed Chilikarp spontaneously losing levels when evolving into Flarados.
- 1.7 broke reusable TMs, this update adds them back.
Ver 1.8: Finishing Up
- Fixed Ralmighty's broken moveset. On all previous versions of the game, leveling up Ralmighty WILL crash the game.
- Added Iron Head in as a LVL 1 move for Mecharbok.
- Three Isle Path's postgame area has a slightly different layout.
- Fixed glitchy tiles and collision in Routes 6, 9, 10, and elsewhere.
- Added in a special hidden item to Pallet Town.
- Fixed Cutabra spontaneously gaining levels when evolving into Shinigazam.
- Fixed a few Pokedex typos.
Ver 1.9: Starter of the End
- The Kanto and Johto starters have new spritesets, and the Alter Meganium line has new names.
- Bushlash has a new sprite.
- Snotodile renamed to Snowtodile to avoid mispronounciation.
- Marowarior renamed to Bladowak to avoid the character limitations.
- Taurice has an actual shiny now.
- Goomgar's party sprite has a second frame of animation that used to be missing.
- Changed movesets of the Vulcasaur, Sealizard, Grasstoise, Targanium, Typhactory, Frostigatr, Dronmega lines.
- Buckern and Bucketta are now Water/Steel type Pokemon.
- Super Glitch has been changed since it did not work correctly previously. It is now a single-use, 250 POW move that can freeze, burn, or paralyze.
- Soul Steal now works as intended.
- Fixed Pixinite line's gender ratio, now correctly 87% female
- Fixed 33V33 spontaneously gaining levels upon evolving into Insecteon, and solved a similar issue with evolving Dichu.
- Route 6 has a brand new layout.
- Editted encounter tables for Routes 1 and 22.
- Fixed a softlocking issue on Cycling Road that had to do with getting trapped after surfing.
- Replaced the Region's Edge and Victory Road glitchy Nurses with a different AI that shouldn't crash shit.
- Fixed minor tile issues in Region's Edge... yet again.
- All Mystree have their own sprites now.
- Evolution levels changed for Fridgeotto > Fridgeot (45) and Fargan'c > Sirgan'c (36).
- Changed Buryta line's moveset slightly, namely making Bonemerang a later level move and giving it Hex as a level 1 move instead.
- Fixed some invisible walls on Route 2 and Route 6.
- The starters now have new signature moves that can be learned via the move tutor in Cape Brink.
- Vulcasaur has Lava Storm, a 100 POW, 95 ACC move that hits both opponents and has a chance to Paralyze.
- Sealizard has Trench Slice, a 50 POW move that always lands a critical hit.
- Grasstoise has Arena Roots, a 95 POW move that clears stage hazards.
- Because of this, Blast Burn, Hydro Cannon, and Frenzy Plant are no longer in the game and are wiped from existing Pokemon's movesets.
- Starite is now Fairy/Rock instead of just Fairy.
- Starau has been buffed. Its primary ability is now Natural Cure, and its other ability, which was once Illuminate, is now Marvel Scale. Its Defensive stats have been raised, with its DEF going from 115 to 120, and its SPDEF going from 75 to 95.
- Rootas's stats have been altered so it isn't COMPLETELY useless.
- Scizorch has an altered moveset, with it learning Fire Punch and X-Scissor by level up instead of Spikes and Double Team.
- Medairth has been altered as well; it gets Earth Power by level up.
- Many evolution methods have been changed, mostly to get rid of Happiness evolutions.
- Volbat > Explobat, LVL 38
- Steedra > Kingsdale, LVL 40
- Starite > Starau, LVL 26
- Rootas > Royalotus, Leaf Stone
- Poochiever > Mightriever, LVL 17 OR Happiness
- Blizdrevus > Blizmaiden, LVL 34 OR Happiness
- Jovicrow > Particrow, LVL 34 OR Happiness
- Slowslab > Slowsidian, LVL 32 OR > Slowspike with Fire Stone
- A bug with Cadaroah's level changing on evolution because of a different EXP group has been fixed.
- Poochiever's evolution now actually works right.
- Sirgan'c has the correct backsprite.
- Buckern learns Flash Bomb by level up.
- Changed up Rock Tunnel a bit.
- Maybe fixed the weird Victory Road glitch finally???
- Mincir and Bristrill have recieved sprite updates
- The Flameape, Boulderfree, and Stryptile lines have had moveset and stat changes (Which you can find detailed on their respective pages)
- Fixed tile errors on Route 4 and 16.
- Fixed that one transparent pixel on Vulcasaur's sprite.
- Fixed a wrong warp in Pallet Town that was accidentally left in from testing last update.
- Slightly edited Tartler's moveset.
- Saffron City Pokemon Center has a new design.
Ver 1.10: I just can't stop coming back lmao
- Added a new design/look to every single Pokemon Center, with an included grinding spot in the storage room to the back.
- Wilfortune have had their exp yield increased dramatically.
- Note that Ver 1.10 was released twice to fix major locking bugs; if you are having problems, try redownloading the patch at the top of the page.
- Fixed Cinnabar Island wrongwarp.
- Made balance changes to the Ghasticate, Poochiever, Fungaloom, and Bristrill lines; the changes can be observed on their respective wiki pages.
- Viridian Forest has a brand new layout.
- 33V33's held item was changed to the White Herb.
- Pixini now always hold a Moon Stone.
- Incenco now always hold a Sun Stone.
- Added an area to Mt Moon specifically for the purpose of farming Moon/Sun Stones.
- Eggperl now evolves to Huntoar with a Sun Stone, and Goreyriss with a Moon Stone.
- Fixed the couch clipping error in the Pokemon Center.
Pokemon Altered with Gun
On April Fool's day 2021, a romhack of Pokemon AlteRed was made by the creator as a joke, where a new Snorlax alter is the starter Pokemon. You can read more at Pokemon AlteRed with Gun.
Current Known Bugs
- Mewzero will not obey commands due to a quirk in the game's programming.
- The Town Map has not been properly updated to include the new areas; Flying from those locations is not advised.
- The moves Ice Fang and Ice Shard are able to be used in the field unintentionally.
- The graphics on the pause menu are slightly garbled, but the text can still be read. Marked as low priority.
- Similarly, the Pokedex can be very finicky; it is advised to save before perusing it.
- The NPC Cue Ball Paxton will crash the game if battled; his fight has been removed, but be aware of any fuckery upon arriving at Three Island.
For further troubleshooting, contact the developer Kingfin128 on Deviantart, or leave a message on this page's Talk Page.